CanSat 2014 – Sparky Sat
Sparky Sat was SDSL’s submission to the 2014 AIAA Cansat competition. This competition is a design-build-launch competition that allows students to experience what a real world satellite project would be like. Allowing students to gain experiences that they could not find in a classroom; lessons such as communication, team work, and leadership can all be learned from this competition. It’s pretty hard to learn how to be a leader behind a textbook.
The AIAA CanSat competition is also an international competition, hosting over 60 teams from all over the world. In additional to the experiences learned from these competition students get a chance to meet people in their field from all over the world. Creating a sense of community within the aerospace field.
Sparky Sat Team Members
- Mentor – Brian Bone
- Team Lead – Heather Zunino
- Egg Protection – Sarah Smallwood
- Electrical Lead – Zach Burnham
- DCS Engineer – Justin Walker
- Mechanical Lead – Ryan Teves
- FSW Engineer – William Merino
- Data Handling & Comms Lead – Raymond Barakat
- Subsystem Engineer – Ryian Hunter
2013-2014 AAS/AIAA CanSat Critical Design Review
2013-2014 AAS/AIAA CanSat Preliminary Design Review